Sunday, March 20, 2011

great swim, fab ride, stoke stampede and a whole lotta confidence!!!

I have recovered well from the 20 miler... no tears, no throwing my toys outta the pram so its all good!

This weekend has all been about confidence building, I have to say that I have spent the last couple of weeks doubting my ability to do Ironman 70.3 within all the time restraints. I was worried about the swim and even dreamt about that touch of doom on the shoulder to say you hadn't done it in time.
I swam 1.2 miles in 51 minutes, so each time I do it I am getting faster.  Confidence boost no 1.

Stuart, myself and 3 others from West Country Tri club cycled Wimbleball again.  It was great to meet members of the tri group I hadn't met before and was really good talking to others who had done it last year.  This time round we did it in 2.21.30 which kinda beats a pulp to the last time we rode it 2.47.03. THAT'S 26 MINUTES FASTER!  Confidence boost no 2. I am really noticing the marathon training endurance helping me through other elements of my training.
In the race you have 4.5 hours to complete the 56 hilly bike miles so I guess that each lap should take you no longer than 2.15.  I was really close to that and I know on the day I will be faster.  I spoke in length to Sarah who had done it last year and she was full of tips and good advice.  She informed me that on all the BIG KILLER HILLS you will have people lining up beating drums and willing you on.  I could hear the excitement in her voice as she re-lived it and thinking to myself.... I'm so having a piece of that! She said on the day she cycled the course half an hour quicker than she had ever done it before just through the crowd and the adrenalin.  Sounds good to me.  She also said that looking at the way I rode and how I kept up she thought I would do it under 4 hours. Confidence boost no 3.

Today I race the Stoke Stampede 10 k and beat last years time of 57.51 with a stoking 52.43.  The race is normally held on boxing day and was snowed off and rescheduled for today.   It was a really hot race and I forgot how hilly it was ( that because on boxing day I'm always still pissed when I run) and it was hard work running in the heat especially after all the training in sub zero temperatures.

So I no longer have doubts about completing Ironman 70.3 even if it is the most challenging, Ive trained really hard and I'm working so hard to raise the money for charity and there is NO CHANCE that I wont complete.  There is no way on this earth that anyone is gonna stop me and I stick my middle finger up to those time restraints....... Ironman 70.3 will be the greatest race of my life and a experience that I will never forget!

No comments: