Monday, July 4, 2011

Crewkerne super sprint

Crewkerne was the first triathlon I did last year so I wanted to return so I could gauge my improvement. 
The day started very early and my swim wave was 7.27 (to be precise).  The swim went really well I used the first 2 lengths to get into my stroke and didn't rush it, unlike last year when you shoot off and you lose concentration and get out of breathe too quickly and struggle for the rest of the swim......(experience kicking in here)

Last years swim time 7.36 this year 5.19...... now that sings very loudly from the rooftops.......YES I'm a much better swimmer.

Again experience and the familiarity of the course made my transition a smooth one.  I remember last year I was all over the place.  So out on the bike course.  Last year I did the course in 27.34 and thought I was on course to smash that time.  The route was a lot hillier than I remember, in fact it was mostly uphill, maybe I just blocked that memory out.  Race time 24.59 which although faster was rather disappointing and I expected a lot more from myself and Whoopie.  I did however have an "incident" with a very silly old man at a roundabout.  He was so engrossed at the rider in front of me , staring at her lycra clad bottom no doubt, that he failed to realise that he was pushing me into the kerb and nearly had me off at the roundabout.  I did bang very loudly on the roof of his car just to ensure that he knew I was there, but he still progressed very slowly and I was stuck behind him.  This was the case right back into transition and I believe I lost a good minute here.  I was tiny bit frustrated but that's the name of the game... always going to be ifs and buts within a race.

The run last year seemed really long and I achieved it in 12.22 and this year it seemed really short, I guess knowing the course does help and I ran slightly faster at 12.18 but on reflection I could have ran alot faster but I didn't push it hard enough.  So a new course PB taking 4 mins from last year.  What seems more impressive.   Last year I sprinted to the finish and nearly puked but I didn't get that this year.... mental note TRY HARDER!

Whats more impressive was the stats... last year I was 111th out of 151 and 17th in my age cat out of 29.
This year I was 48th out of 81  and 4th in my age cat out of 13 and 7th lady in out of 27.  So I can see that I have improved and I can see also where these other ladies are beating me and areas I need to improve.  But I am pleased and to think that I have only been doing triathlons a year.  I am getting a lot more training in that I haven't done previously such as track and sportives and swim coaching and on the improvement scale if I return next year then I will DEMAND to be in the top 3.  I really want to win just one trophy, that's all.

A super short race but great fun and enjoyed immensely.

No comments: