Sunday, August 21, 2011

Where I am and where I'm heading.

Training is going well. I am now a member of Weston Wheelers bike club as well as joining Shapwick runners and also of course West County Triathletes. It seems my clubbing days have taken on a whole new meaning.  I have enjoyed the summer holidays doing the same amount of training but enjoying the fact there is no time restraints upon me.  I have started using "beet-it" stamina shots and have found that they are really good. I do find that when I first start exercising I really struggle with my breathing and I put this down to my anemia and lack of oxygen in my blood due to the lack of iron.  Taking Beet-it has dramatically changed that especially on those all important race days and I no longer have to go through that initial breathing nightmare.  They do say it increases stamina but am still undergoing tests on that one.

The club organised a sea swim last Sunday and it couldn't have been worse.  There were waves that looked like they belonged in Newquay and I was very unsure whether to go in.  I did take the plunge and I am so glad I did.  I have in the past, found sea swimming to be tough... I don't like the motion and the taste and I am always getting caught out my waves.  This water was black it looked disgusting but I didn't care I was just enjoying being thrown about in the waves and couldn't stop laughing.  After a while of larking about there was a small group of us who weren't too confident in the sea so we stayed together and swam short distances. It was so funny trying to swim being swept all over the place by these dirty black waves. We kept swimming but the current was so strong we just didn't go anywhere. This has helped my confidence and I just think now sod it, I can swim anywhere now I swam in those conditions.  So I have entered Stert Island swim.  A 1.5 swim out to the island and back along with 80 other rubber clad loons!!!!! This will also help with the 2 sea swims that are coming up in the 2 Olympic Tris in Sept.

My time trails started really well but I have been getting slower.  There are 2 possible reasons for this.... one too much training before TT night and my legs have felt like lead and since getting Jolly, my giant road bike, my training on Whoopie (tt bike) has slipped.  I didn't realise that training on 2 different bikes would present any problems but it is.  I got Jolly for the longer rides and for comfort which he does really well but am losing the tt power in my legs. So after a lot of pondering I have come up with the following solution.  Any rides under 40 miles is Whoopie but Jolly is for the long haul.  Whoopie is for racing and jolly gets the hill and endurance work.  I have found that doing the 10 mile time trials has really helped my sprint bike times though.

Next years 'A' race will be Bradwell long distance triathlon, which I have nick named The Green Man.  1.7 mile swim, 75 miles bike followed by an 18 mile run.Ironman 70.3 at Wimbleball will prepare me for that and I do have a score to settle!!! Not quite the full distance but a good warm up taster race seeing as my Outlaw dreams were dashed for 2012.   This year has been race crazy, with a tri literally every weekend.  I have learnt a valuable lesson here as I was entered into so many it actually started to interfere with my ironman 70.3 training.  Next year I will pick and choose my races carefully, entering longer distances and spending those valuable weekends endurance training instead of racing. If I don't get into London marathon I will enter Taunton marathon, horrible 2 loop course, but local and cheap and to be honest as long as I run a marathon that's all that matters.  I like being marathon fit and will help prepare me for that ultimate long distance.

I had lost my running mojo recently, even though I got out, it felt alien and my legs were always so heavy.  It got to the point I had to drag myself out of the door and I began to dislike it.  But after a much needed sports massage and some extra rest days, I had a fantastic 8 mile run, where I smiled all the way round, felt great, no heavy legs and I feel back in love with running, which is a good thing seeing I have couple of half marathons soon.  I ran so many races last year but with all these triathlons, I have hardly done any and am looking forward to just running and seeing if I can get that sub 50 10k.

upcoming events
28th Aug - Oxley Sherbourne Sprint Tri
4th Sept - Stert Island sea swim
11th Sept - Burnham-on-sea Olympic tri
18 th Sept - Langport sprint Tri
25th Sept - Race to the bill Olympic tri ( hilly, hilly, hilly)
2nd Oct - Bideford sprint Tri
16th Oct - Cardiff half marathon
6th Nov - Illminster 10k
26th Nov - Downton half marathon.

The next 6 weekends are brimming with events.  LETS HAVE IT!!!!!!

No comments: