Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Bideford Tri

I think that joining a boxing club and doing a hardcore boxing training session on the Friday before a race probably wasn't the best idea that I've had but hey that's 'hardcore blackmore'.  So seeing Bideford was sooo far away camping seemed the best option especially has quite a few members were going down to.  Saturdays pre race  was spent body boarding at Westward ho and what a fab time had by all in the most glorious sunshine. 

I was awake at 5 in the morning and the  combination of boxing, body boarding and lack of sleep I was a sore tired little bunny!!!! As always I don't allow such obstacles to stop me so I was ready to rock and roll. This was the last tri of the season and I was going out with a bang!

It was great to be with so many other West Country triathletes and before long it was time for the swim waves to begin.  It was a mass mini start, groups of 20 started off and there was a minute between each group.  I was in the same wave as Caroline and Frances.  The water was surprisingly warm but to be honest when you have been stood in the blazing sun for 10 mins in a wetsuit the water could have been in the minus and I wouldn't have noticed.  The swim was good but I did have a slight panic attack swimming under the bridge, everything went so dark and it really unnerved me.  I tried to keep up with Caroline but she is a much stronger swimmer than me. Swimming back under the bridge was a bit strange, as you tilted your head to breathe you could see all the people on the top of the bridge staring down at you.  It was almost like a scene out of Winnie the Pooh and we were all little poo sticks going down the river!!!

As I came out of the water I saw that Caroline was just leaving transition so I knew I had to get a move on. Straight out of transition was a steep little hill which certainly warmed you up. I overtook quite a few people on the bike and got into my groove!!!   The bike course was very undulating and I was enjoying it.  There were a few hairy moments when I got caught in behind cars and at one point when I was in a small pack we ended up having to go round onto the other side of the road to avoid a big pile up.  I am at my best when I get into a pack of men..... I like to play with the boys ( oo errr missy) I like to hold my own and even better when I get stronger and overtake them....  I like the fact they don't like it so they push it more and I thrive on it.... but hey it works for me.  I finally spotted Caroline and knew I had pushed it to catch her ( she was on fire on her sexy new bike). 
The bike route was lush, nice smooth roads and lots of aero time. 

The sun by now was really hot and I could feel it beating down on me as I started the run.  The run followed the tarka trail and was flat for a while.  When I hit the first hill I became very aware that I had pushed it on the bike and I struggled up it so when I hit the second hill I started to feel quite sick.  I decided I needed to walk just to stop the urging...... that's when I heard Carolines voice behind me and she spurred back into running.  The lady who I had overtook on the run had got her own back and was in front of me so I decided that I would sit in behind her until I saw the finish and I would go for it.  There was the finish so I decided to go for it.. I took her by surprise and the roar of the crowd as they realised what I was up to motivated me even more and the bloke in front of me looked back and also decided to take off..... all three of us must have looked like lunatics.... I beat the lady but the guy pipped the post just before me.  I knew I had pushed it as I a spent the next 5 minutes trying to control the urge to puke my guts up!!! ( I'm such a lady)
West country ladies dominated the rankings with Celia taking overall winner.  I took 4th in age cat closely followed by Caroline in 5th with Jo in 7th.  The men did really well to with Martin taking overall 2nd.
There were 17th in my age cat and I  was the 11th woman in out of 70, just missing out in that top 10.  I was 124th out of just under 300 triathletes top half is a bonus.

What a fab weekend to round of the season, great company, great race and a good result. This has been my second season and my results have shown that all the hard work that I have put in is paying off.  So let this be a warning to all those ladies who pipped me at the post... I will be chasing you next year and I will be stronger and fitter than ever before...........

No comments: