Sunday, February 3, 2013

Hestercombe Humdinger 2013

Hestercombe Humdinger is a challenging race and  it was touch and go weather I would run it as I forgot to enter but due to a very understanding race director I got in!!!!

To be honest I wasn't feeling the humdinger love, normally I rest before a race of this torture but this time I hadn't.   I had done a 36 mile bike ride the day before and had a late night!!! I rocked up the race alone, that's another first and wandered around like a little lost soul.   

I like this race because it determines my fitness levels. I normally do loads of hill training for this race but had done nothing compared to previous years.  After frightening all the newbies in the toilets by showing them the race profile, I made my way to the start line. 

I made my way to the back of the pack because I know how dam easy it is to get carried away with those super fast club runners and its not the kind of race where you can blat the first few miles and hope for the best. 

So the race is on....... I watch them all go whizzing past and I pull myself back. Over the years I have learnt a lot about my body and my asthmatic lungs and I know that first 3 miles is the same as stoking up a steam train.  I need to pace myself, let those embers ignite and then hold on baby I am coming through!!! I  know I am built for the longer distances and I have the stamina and the mind set to dig in when all else fails.  At 4 miles the switch had flicked and I was running at my optimum and all those runners who foolishly set off like the clappers were starting to fade.  The course seemed so much shorter this year but obviously it wasn't.  

The down hills are worse than the ups...... the ups are lung busting hard but the downs are knee jarring horrid.  I hit the last hill and tried to grin at the aptly positioned camera man but hey who was I fooling!!!! I checked the time and the distance, did a mental sum in my head and decided yes a PB was on the cards!!!!
That mile down hill towards the finish was painful but I wanted that PB.  Every year I had done the course faster and failure is not an option in my book!!! I set my limits and  I will go for it.  

The clock said 1.21.44 thats a PB for sure.  I am so chuffed because I wasn't ready for this race, I hadn't prepared myself properly but I still brought it home!!  Every year I am getting fitter and fitter and I keep expecting to hit the plateau but I haven't.  I wish I had discovered triathlon and racing years ago.  I always kept fit but I was a gym freak.  I often regret what could have been but at the end of the day there is no turning back and I will give everything 110%.  I am happy with my result.  I feel Ironman is well within my grasp and this year I will achieve everything that I have dreamt about for the past 3 years.I am well on course, this race proved to me that my fitness is exactly where I need and want it to be. 

Roll on 2013........... I am so ready for you...... I've been waiting for this challenge all my life!!!!!!




No comments: